Founded in 1939

Spondon Church Boys' Club

In memory of our great Vicar and friend TEM Barber

Forums

Forum Home > Tributes to Members > Peter Towers

StephenRBeet
Site Owner

Today we learnt of the death (in 2009) of Mr. Peter Towers who was Suday School Superintedent for many years.  He was also a great and loyal help to the Vicar over the years.  I remember that Mr. Towers was often on-hand on club nights heling out in one way or another.

Following the death of his wife, Peter moved down south to be nearer to his daughter and died in November 2009 in Canterbury.

December 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Earnshaw

Sorry to hear of the death of Peter Towers - I new him and his wife Agnes(nee Bolt) well. He made a substantial contribution to the welfare of the people of Spondon not only through the Boys Club and Church and I wondered how he found the time to involve himself in all of these activities. They also arranged holiday by coach for the elder village people which my mother attended on several occassions. My recollection of at least two visits where we linked up with them at Barnstaple and Torquay where we hosted to a number of the people for a Devon Cream tea in our garden. The trips were certainly going strongly until 1992 when my mother was to take a summer break but sadly took ill and died two months before the trip was due. I remember also how kind he and Agnes were at that time and the family were grateful for their compassionate approach at such a difficult time. 

He worked for Derbyshire County Council firstly in St Mary's Gate Derby and Post 1957 at County Hall, Matlock(formerly Smedley's Hydro) - I often saw him there as he worked in the administration of the Quantity Surveyors Dept with a very old friend from Belper whom I propose to inform of Peter's demise.

John Earnshaw

February 3, 2012 at 5:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian

Yes, I remember him a a quietly spoken gentleman for whom everyone had the greatest respect.  I know he was a great help to the Vicar and was totally loyal during the difficult days after the Vicar resigned.

--
November 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

StephenRBeet
Site Owner

Great to hear these tributes.

--

November 5, 2015 at 2:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.